Dhokla is a vegetarian food item that originates from the Indian state of Gujarat. Dhokla can be eaten for breakfast, as a main course, as a side dish, or as a snack.
My version is plain and simple, you can add your twists if you like. This is for all those times when you feel like having a fresh tea time snack or for little hungers.
- Besan (1 cup)
- Suji (1/4 cup)
- Eno Fruit Salt (1 tea spoon)
- Sugar (1 tea spoon) Optional
- Mustard Seeds (Rai)
- Refined Oil
- Lemon (1 small) / Curd (1 cup)
- Green Chilli (2-3) Slit
- Coriander (for garnishing)
- Curry leaves (3-4 leaves)
- Mix Besan and Suji with water. Make the paste little runny like you would have done for pakodas.
- Put Salt and curd and mix well.
- Set it aside for 20-30 min.
- Put Eno into the mix and stir. Do not stir very much, just mix it evenly.
- Grease a microwave safe bowl with oil and put the mixture in there.
- Microwave it for 3 straight minutes.
- Put a knife in it to test if its ready or not. If the knife comes clean means its done otherwise put it for 1 more minute.
- Once done, Let it set for 2-3 minutes.
- For tadka, Heat oil and put mustard seeds.
- Once it starts crackling put the curry leaves and green chilies.
- Put off the flame and put sugar and 1/2 cup water.
- Take out the cooked dhokla in a serving plate or tray.
- Cut into pieces and put this tadka on it so that the dhokla is moist and soft.
- Put coriander on top
And we are done…